Code of Conduct
Kitacon Events Committee LTD. is a professional not for profit convention. To avoid any misunderstandings about what kind of behaviour is acceptable at an event as big as Kitacon, you are advised to read and follow this code of conduct. Please keep in mind that these rules apply throughout the convention, including early arrival and late departure dates.
The following general rule supercedes all others below and may be invoked at any time:
Any action or behaviour that causes significant interference with convention operations, excessive discomfort to other attendees, or adversely affects Kitacon’s relationship with: its guests; its venues or the public may result in permanent suspension of membership and expulsion from the event.
If you are banned from a Kitacon event, you are banned from all future Kitacon events. Banning information is passed along to other events on the convention scene, so this may also affect your ability to attend other conventions along with Kitacon.
Registration and Badges
- You must be at least 18 years old on your first day at the convention. A valid form of photographic I.D will be required to prove this.
- Only registered attendees may enter convention space, which will be clearly marked.
- Other venue residents who are not registered with Kitacon (colloquially dubbed “loserconning”) may enter the public areas of the venue according to their individual contract with the venue.
- You are required to wear your convention badge and event wristband prominently at all times, so that you can be identified and recognised as a member of the convention. Wristbands are not to be removed at any time until the convention is over, or they will be rendered void.
- Changing or covering up any information on your badge (i.e. by using stickers or drawings, front or back) or altering your badge in any way is strictly forbidden.
- If you have lost your room key please contact the accommodation desk immediately. Kitacon does not accept any liability resulting from lost room keys.
- Treat others respectfully. This applies to fellow attendees, convention staff, the venue staff and non-convention guests on-site as well.
- You are liable for any damage you might cause to property howsoever caused.
- Any lost property, either lost by yourself or found, should be reported immediately to Ops. All lost property is held by the Committee for up to 90 days, at which point it will be destroyed.
Clothing and Decency
- Wearing, displaying or trading costumes, accessories or other items made out of real fur is strictly forbidden.
- Display of any sign, symbol or clothing that is commonly associated with any organisation, party or political ideology likely to offend other guests is not permitted.
- Display of adult-themed materials is not permitted in public areas of the venue. This includes (but is not limited to): room signs, fliers, business cards, posters and drawings on public message boards.
- Bear in mind that while Kitacon runs 18+ events, the venue and surrounding areas do not have this age restriction.
Alcohol and other Drugs
- Should you partake of alcohol, you are expected to drink responsibly. You will be held liable for what you say and what you do, even if intoxicated.
- Persons who are intoxicated to the point of incapacity may be escorted to their rooms or expelled from the convention and venue, at the discretion of the Committee and/or venue security.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere within the entirety of the venue buildings, this includes e-cigarettes. The venue will eject the residents of any room where someone has been smoking. The only permitted smoking areas are outside the buildings in the designated smoker’s area.
- The possession, consumption or sale of illegal substances (including, but not limited to: THC, LSD, Ecstasy, Amphetamines, etc.) will not be tolerated. Attendees found in possession of such substances will be arrested, handed over to the police and indefinitely banned from the convention.
- The abuse of any other substances, such as nitrous oxide( “nos balloons” and capsules), alkyl nitrites (“poppers”), glue, “legal highs” etc. will also get you immediately expelled and indefinitely banned from the convention.
General Venue and Accommodation Rules
- It is strictly forbidden to throw, drop or push any objects out of windows, from balconies, galleries or similar parts of the building. Violators will be expelled from the convention and venue.
- Attendees may not enter the service areas of the venue. This includes all backstage areas, service elevators, the rooftops, emergency exits and all areas marked as “Staff Only”. If found in any of these areas, you will be escorted from the venue and banned from future Kitacon events.
- Please be respectful of other patrons, this means no sitting on the floors whilst queuing, keeping volume to an acceptable level, etc.
- Tampering with any fire-protection devices – in particular, disabling smoke-detectors or malicious triggering of fire doors or alarms – is illegal, therefore prohibited and will result in expulsion from the event and liability for any damages or associated costs.
- If you wish to wear Body Paint, it must be smear-proof and not transferable to any other persons or surfaces. General clothing decency rules still apply. This rule also applies for glitter, body spray, hair products, etc and cosplay finishing such as paint, glue etc. Any damages to accommodation or venue areas due to any of the above products will be chargeable to your room, and may result in expulsion.
- Do not deliberately crack open glow-sticks or similar items containing dyes, sticky, or corrosive material. As above, any damage done via these substances will result in a charge/expulsion from the venue.
- The sale of any kind of merchandise outside of the dealers room is not permitted.
On-site Rooms and Privacy
- You are expected to treat the accommodation rooms and property of the venue reasonably and with care. You will be held personally liable for any damage you may cause.
- It is strictly prohibited to allow non-residential attendees to sleep in your room. Violators may be expelled and held liable for compensation claims of the venue.
- The cleaning crew is required to check your room at least once a day. “Do Not Disturb” signs may therefore only be respected until 10:00 am.
- You must not disturb people in any other rooms. Please keep the noise down after midnight. If you are asked to reduce noise more than twice you may be required to stop what you are doing and this may result in further action from convention or venue staff including expulsion.
Weapons, Lookalikes and Dangerous Items
- All weapons, including look-alikes, replicas, tools and toys must be approved by Kitacon Cosplay Officers immediately after your registration on-site. To do so, please bring your weapon to Cosplay HQ asap.
- For detailed information on what type of weapons are generally acceptable please refer to the official weapons-guide on the Kitacon website.
- Mock fights, swordplay, fire breathing or any other activities that may adversely affect bystanders or venue property are not allowed. Any props, weapons or items which utilize compressed gasses, pyrotechnics (including flash paper) or dry ice are not permitted under any circumstances.
- Kitacon Cosplay Officers require all approved weapons and props to be peace-bound/tagged. Tampering with the tag is not allowed and will invalidate the clearance immediately. The bearers of props or weapons not bearing the approved tag will automatically be directed to Cosplay HQ for a weapons check.
Photography and Videotaping
- Kitacon reserves all rights to video and photo material gathered by their VideoHub team taken in public convention areas and convention rooms. This does not include attendee residential rooms.
- Kitacon grants you the right to use videos and photos you have taken at the convention for private and/or non-commercial purposes. For large scale photography or filming shoots, permission must be granted by the Kitacon Committee.
- Publication in for-profit media (such as press, television or other commercial mass media) requires written permission by Kitacon. Any persons wishing to do this, must contact Kitacon and obtain a Press Pass for the event. Permission must be obtained two weeks prior to the event and an agreement with Kitacon must be signed. If caught filming/shooting without said permission, consequences may include: temporary loss of equipment, friendly warning, or removal from the venue.
- Other restrictions or rules may apply for certain events, and will be announced on location.
The Bottom Line
- When in doubt, please ask – preferably before the convention starts – by emailing email@example.com. We will gladly answer all of your questions.
- These rules will not be debated during the convention. The Kitacon Committee will, however, be available to speak with you in case you feel you have been incorrectly or wrongly accused of violating any of the rules.
- Decisions by the Kitacon Committee and/or Venue are final.
- The Kitacon Committee reserves the right to impose any and all sanctions against violators of these rules or those persons involved in any other unacceptable behaviour. The definition of unacceptable behaviour remains at the sole discretion of the Kitacon Committee. Sanctions may range from a friendly reminder to an indefinite ban from the convention.
- Staff of the venue for the event also hold the right to remove you from the premises if you are in violation of the venue rules and regulations.
- While the Kitacon Committee encourage all attendees to get involved with the evening parties, over-indulging in alcohol can lead to behaviour that can have an adverse affect on not only yourself, but the convention in general. In short:
“DON’T BE A DICK!”